The Illinois Coalition on Mental Health & Aging advocates for services and policies that promote quality care and the reduction and prevention of mental illnesses affecting older adults in Illinois.
On The National Scene
EVENT: Update on Federal Legislation” presented by Joel Miller to the National Coalition on Mental Health and Aging
DATE: June 26, 2017
INFO: Download the Powerpoint presentation by clicking the button below.
At The State Level
On July 6, 2017, the Illinois House of Representatives overrode the Governor’s veto and passed a balanced budget.
The General Assembly enacted three budget bills:
A summary of the budget bills is attached below, courtesy of State Representative Greg Harris (D-13).
Also attached below are the House’s analyses of these bills reflecting final action by the Senate and House, provided courtesy of Terry Steczo, with Government Strategy Associates.
TIPS FOR EFFECTIVE ADVOCACY
- Tell your story – and empower consumers to tell their stories;
- Be factual – always tell the truth, be a reliable information source;
- Be authentic – stay true to the voice of the people you represent;
- Be present – don’t underestimate the power of showing up;
- Be engaging – invite lawmakers to share their stories about your issue;
- Be strategic – know when to act and send your message;
- Be persistent – ask lawmakers to commit to supporting your position;
- Be a good team player – coalesce with other advocates, report back; and
- Be thankful – recognize and thank lawmakers for their support.